How to Pick a Good Dog Groomer
Grooming is an essential part of your dog’s health and hygiene. Many pet owners will try to handle the simple grooming procedures themselves, such as regular brushing. But for more difficult tasks like bathing, fur trimming, and nail cutting, a professional groomer might be a better option
To ensure that your pet has the best experience, here are 5 tips for choosing a dog groomer:
1. Tour the Salon. It is important that you tour the salon before you make a commitment. Check to see if it is well organized, well-lit and clean. A facility that is unkempt, dirty and chaotic can increase the likeliness of your dog contracting skin infections and other contagious diseases.
2. Experience. Every good groomer is properly educated and experienced. Ask the groomer how long they have been grooming, where they learned how to groom from and if they have any special certifications. They should also be able to answer questions such as how often a dog should be bathed and why nails should be trimmed.
3. Quality of Products. Taking a look at the types of products a groomer intends to use on your dog can also indicate whether he or she is a knowledgeable groomer. Does the groomer use high-quality shampoos, conditioners, and rinses that are as gentle and natural as possible? Can they recommend an appropriate product for your pet’s fur or needs?
4. Handling Procedure. A good groomer knows what to do to calm an anxious or scared dog. If your dog is skittish, old, fragile or injured, it is important that you find a groomer who knows how to work with your dog’s needs and temperament. You should also find a groomer where a single groomer handles your dog exclusively to maintain the comfort and calmness of your dog.
5. Communication. When you take your dog to the groomer, you want to know that he or she will be well cared for. When speaking to the groomer, consider your personal observations and feelings. Are you comfortable talking to the groomer and asking him or her questions? Do you feel like the groomer is listening to you and taking the time understand your requests?
Every pet owner wants to make sure their pet is safe and happy. At Hollywood Houndz, we encourage owners and their pets to stop by our boutique in person and meet our groomers. Our staff is extremely knowledgeable and experienced with the care of all dogs and cats. Come and visit us today!