Mon-Fri: 8:00AM-6:00PM | Sat: 9AM-5PM | Sun: 10AM-5PM
4243 W Lake Mary Blvd, Lake Mary, FL 32746
407.688.7626

About Dog Vomit

September 9th, 2018

Have you ever been in a situation when your dog swallows something he shouldn’t? Sometimes, our furry friends do so and it’s necessary to be prepared. It’s always recommended to call your vet immediately, however, sometimes the situation is urgent and if you know some tips, you can save your pet’s life.

Firstly, it’s important to know what your pet has ingested, as the safety of the vomit ‘s induction depends on the material. According to professionals, soft things such as toys and socks are “okay” to swallow, given that they won’t damage the esophagus. However, making your dog throw up something with sharp edges may do more harm than good. There isn’t also an indication to provoke vomit if your furry friend ingested chicken bones, as, in most cases, bones will be eliminated through the intestines in a safe way. In certain occasions, a radiography is necessary, so that to consider the risks involved. Surgeries to remove bones are uncommon.

On the other hand, if your furry friend ingested something that represents a potential risk of intestinal blockage or something toxic – grapes, rat poison, chocolate or xylitol-containing gum, bleach or detergent – vomiting is definitely necessary. Remember to contact your vet, as soon as you find out that your dog needs help.

Dr Katja Lang, a veterinarian in Heart of Chelsea Animal Hospital, New York, suggests that pet owners follow these steps:

  1. Call your vet or contact a Pet poison Control center. This is helpful to ensure that making your dog vomit is the right course of action;
  2. Try to remember about what time the pet ingested the toxin and when he/she last ate. It should be within 2 or 3 hours of toxin ingestion;
  3. Make sure your pet is alert. Don’t induce vomiting if he/she seems to be disoriented or drowsy;
  4. Administer a small volume of hydrogen peroxide based on your veterinarian’s recommendation;
  5. Monitor your pet closely after vomiting, as there’s a risk of aspiration (stomach contents entering the lungs);

The color of your furry friend’s vomit tell important information. A white foam indicates the ingestion of toxins and poisons. Yellow color indicates inflammation caused by bile back-up and red vomit tells that there is blood and requires an urgent trip to the vet.

Keep in mind that, before taking any measure, consult a professional so that you can assess the situation professionally and act accordingly! We’re all concerned with the wellness of our friends!